Thursday 5 September 2013

An Old Cold Winter by @IrishCultural


An Old Cold Winter

By @IrishCultural

The Autumn has risen,

And the bleakness has begun,

It won’t be too long,

Before the Winter has come,

A lifetime of hard work,

And never missed a day,

I always tried my best,

And always paid my way,

I can hear the postman coming,

A rattle at the door,

The letterbox opens,

An envelope hits the floor,

This envelope looks different,

I’ve not seen it before,

My weak body trembles,

As I scoop it from the door,

I open it up,

And Inside I see,

Another new tax,

Waiting for me,

This money was saved,

Throughout the year,

To heat my home,

When the cold came near,

Now I need them most,

And all they can say,

You have to take the cut,

There is no other way,

I don’t have much left to give,

And I’m fighting every day to live,

How much more can I take,

It’s only time before I break,

Memories get me through the day,

And at night-time when I sit and pray,

I wish you would come and take me away,

So all my troubles will go astray.

No comments:

Post a Comment